Then the excavation continued under the house. They dug this 'trench' to the point where the first 'crib' would be built as a support to one of the main beams that will support and lift the structure. By the end of the day this crib was in place. I'm expecting similar efforts will take place on the other three corners of the building. Stay Tuned.
A lot of sand is going to be removed from the eventual basement. Rather than hauling it all away we decided to create a berm in the woods. The crew excavates with a small endloader and moves it down the drive to the stockpile location in a larger one.
|The trench was excavated under the porch and slightly|
under the cottage to give access for installing posts.
Patrick and John are installing floor jacks to support the northeast corners of the cottage and the back porch.
|Patrick used the small Cat to trench under the cottage. The face|
of the excavation ended up about 18 or 20 feet west of the
Excavated material is moved about half way down the drive to a clearing we made in the woods. Some will come back as back fill around the foundation. The rest will become a berm in the woods.
The crawl space was a tangle of old flexible duct work and fiberglass insulation. Pat cleared the duct work.
They even let me check out the trench.